Thursday 13 December 2012

"That isn't music ... it's lab-work"

I've been asked a few times why/how I picked the name for the recording service I offer. It's a weird one, for a while I struggled to come up with something that I felt was appropriate, and that adequately captured
the philosophy I was aspiring to, whether recording or writing and playing. . As is so often the case, the answer came out of nowhere...

"Non, ce n'est pas de la musique... c'est du laboratoire" ("That isn't music ... it's lab-work" – Maurice Ravel on the music of Arnold Schoenberg)

 "That isn't music.."

How many artists have had to endure that kind of attitude at some point? Too many.
Who gets to tell you your art's all wrong? No-one.

As soon as I read it, it was decided. In the spirit of so many of the bands that I love, The Minutemen, This Heat, The Dead Milkmen, Wire, The Wipers... I decided to embrace the negative in the hope of using it to create something positive, to provide a service and environment supportive of the artist and the art, with musicians fully and confidently in charge of their own work.

Hence... Lab-Work Recordings.

Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment